Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's on Second and I Don't Know's on Third

Heading into the epic (I use the word epic due to the opening of a new stadium and a payroll that has skyrocketed...plus it's more dramatic) 2010 season the Minnesota Twins have two positions in which we really have no idea who will be manning them.

Both second base and, of course for the umpteenth time, third base are up for grabs heading into the spring. The unfortunate thing for the Twins is that they really don't have any good options to fill the spots. Well at least that's my humble opinion.

The other problem is that the candidates for one position are essentially the exact same for the other open spot. Here's a look at who is available for each of the positions:

Alexi Casilla | Position Battle: 2B
2009 Stats:
256 PA | .202 AVG | .280 OBP | .259 SLG | 25 R | 11 SB
Casilla is out of options so the Twins either have to keep him on the active 25 man roster or part ways with the second baseman. I personally am pretty indifferent as I don't see him as a starter nor as a very valuable player off the bench. I think with his struggles at the plate and lapses in judgment in the field and on the bases that the Twins would be best to just cut ties. A fresh start may be all he needs.

Brendan Harris | Position Battle: 2B/3B
2009 Stats: 453 PA | .261 AVG | .310 OBP | .362 SLG | 44 R | 37 RBI
Harris is by far the player I like most of this bunch (and that's not saying much) and is the guy I'd want up the most in a pressure situation. While he doesn't bring much pop, he does have more than the others (again that's not saying much) and is fairly steady in the field. I know that's not a glowing recommendation but it's all I've got.

Nick Punto | Position Battle: 2B/3B
2009 Stats: 440 PA | .228 AVG | .337 OBP | .284 SLG | 56 R | 16 SB
For those of you who don't know me, I have to state for the record that I hate Nick Punto. Not as a human being, but as a major league baseball player. It just seems that every time Punto is in a pressure situation he fails miserably. I have cursed his name more than any other MLB player in history (although Delmon Young is getting closer). He is by far the best defensive player of the group as well as the fastest.

Matt Tolbert | Position Battle: 2B/3B
2009 Stats: 231 PA | .232 AVG | .303 OBP | .308 SLG | 28 R | 6 SB
Other than Tolbert's big hit in game 163 against the Tigers last year I have nothing really good to say about him. He's a liability at the plate and his defense isn't good enough to warrant having him in the lineup. I honestly don't like having him as a bench player either as he just doesn't bring enough to the plate.

Decisions: Ugh. After comparing stats and laying everything out, the thought of these four makes me throw up in my mouth. The fact that two will likely start and one of the other two will make up our bench does not bode well. If the Twins don't sign a free agent and stick with this crop (which I am guessing is what will happen) and you made me pick with a gun to my head and an open flame to my season tickets, I would have to chose Punto to play second and Harris to man third. I feel so dirty...

Other Options: There are a few other options out there if the Twins are willing to stretch their pocket books a little further. I wanted to see the Twins bring Orlando Cabrera back to play second base which he too wanted. In fact, the Reds just signed Cabrera for only $3 million which would have not been a big hit to the payroll. Since that door is closed, I'd like to see the Twins go after Orlando Hudson whose price is dropping fast as we continue to get closer to the start of spring. He's got a good glove and is a perfect fit in the two spot in the order which the Twins are in desperate need of. But again I don't see this happening.

Bottom Line: The bottom line is that the Twins need to look at either bringing in a new second baseman or new third baseman (in the Joe Crede mold) until Danny Valencia is ready to take over third as this impacts the versatility of their bench. If they can have Punto at third or second and bring in some new blood, then they could have Harris come off the bench as a super utility player making them even stronger. Dare to dream.

Now I know all of this may have sounded a bit negative, but I assure you it only comes out of passion for this club. I have gotten frustrated over the years with this club's inability to fill a gaping hole at third and the continued forcing of players down our throats that have no business in the major leagues. That and how they let inexpensive options go by the wayside seemingly because they weren't home grown talent.

This is a key area that will help them take the step from AL Central Division Champions to becoming a force in October. Because not one of those four players from above would be a starter on any other playoff team from 2009. Think about it.

[Photos courtesy of Keith Allison]

No comments:

Post a Comment