Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Young is Getting Old

I don’t care what Bill Smith says, it’s time to start cutting into Delmon Young’s playing time. And I think he’ll eventually see that too.

Young is horrible in the field with almost non-existent range. Then at the plate he is inconsistent and doesn’t really provide any value that warrants keeping his sub-par defense in the lineup (.284/.308/.425 line). Basically what I’m saying is he should either be a part-time player or used off the bench.

Now I’m sure part of why the Twins want to state he’s still their guy is to try to validate the lopsided trade they made with Tampa Bay which sent two eventual All-Stars, Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett, packing to the sunshine state for what has become a major bust in Young and a bench player in Brendan Harris.

So with yesterday’s signing of Jim Thome to a one-year deal, this gives the Twins a great option to help faze Young out of the everyday lineup. They now have the ability to plug Jason Kubel into left field giving Thome a chance to DH. Sure Kubel isn’t a huge defensive upgrade in left over Young, but at least his offense more than makes up for it.

Now to prevent the arguments that I got into yesterday with people from happening again, I’m not saying Thome is an everyday DH at this stage in his career. I’m sure even he’d admit that. But I would like seeing him DH 3-4 times a week and especially when we face tough righties. This would stack our lineup as well as give him plenty of rest to keep him healthy over a long season.

I just don't have the patience to put up with Young's bat and glove for another full year on an everyday basis. Let's hope Smith's patience with Young becomes worn as thin as mine has and can accept that his deal with Tampa was a failure.

While I give him credit for trying, it's time to move on.

[Photo courtesy of Keith Allison]

No comments:

Post a Comment